Monday, January 5, 2009

ATP Doha : Junqueira vs Arnaud Live Streaming Online

The Swiss was ousted from the top of the rankings by Rafael Nadal last August and his aura of invincibility was broken by defeat in the Wimbledon final before he silenced his doubters with victory in the US Open - his 13th Grand Slam crown.

The 27-year-old said he was feeling much fitter at the start of this season compared to last year where he was recovering from a bout of glandular fever.

"I expect 2009 to be a good year and for various reasons I am under less pressure too," Federer said in Doha, where he opens this season's campaign at this week's Qatar Open.

"I have been dominating for several years and obviously I think I can do it again. I have a very strong technique ... I am mentally and tactically also quite strong," he added. "I have that ability to decide to how much should I attack and defend.

Hopefully I can win more titles this year.

"This time last year, I was sick. But now I am fully fit."

He said playing in last week's exhibition event in Abu Dhabi, where he lost in the semi-finals to Britain's Andy Murray, had given him the chance to try out some new tactics.

"I practised a lot recently. I tried out many new things in Abu Dhabi - in volleying, charging to the net and playing defensive. Since it was an exhibition event I could do it. But it helped me know where I stood and make those small adjustments," he said.

This month's Australian Open offers Federer his next chance to match Sampras's Grand Slam record and he is relishing the opportunity after losing in the semi-finals last year in the start of a string of setbacks he suffered in 2008.

"I have many goals for 2009. One of them is to regain my top ranking and another is to win at least one more Grand Slam," said Federer.

"Every Grand Slam I win will be more meaningful to me. When I win the first one in 2009 it could equal Pete Sampras's record. Everything is going to be special.

"I have been dominating the field for the past several years. 2008 has been a good and bad year, but that has not changed my perspective."

Federer said he faced more challengers than in recent years with world numbers three and four Novak Djokovic and Murray joining him and Nadal as the dominant forces.

"I think four of us have moved far ahead of the rest of the Top 10. The top four rankings can keep changing often, there are lot of possibilities to this in 2009," said the Swiss, who is just 20 points ahead of Djokovic in the ATP standings.

Depending on their performances this week, Djokovic could overtake Federer in the rankings but the Swiss said he was not unduly concerned.

"I'm not worried about it. Anyway it's not the number one spot," he said with a laugh.

On the court, American fourth seed Andy Roddick and fifth seeded Gael Monfils of France both reached the second round of the event in Doha with easy wins.

Roddick beat Spaniard Ivan Navarro 6-1 6-3 in a little over an hour while Monfils outplayed Czech Republic's Jan Hernych in a 6-2 6-2 victory.

"I didn't do anything stupid," said Roddick. "I was pretty happy with the way I played."

Monfils, who lost to Federer in the 2006 final in Doha, was too good for Hernych.

The Frenchman won the first set in quick time, breaking his opponent in the fourth and eighth games, and took a 5-1 lead in the second before seeing off a short-lived fightback from Hernych and clinching the win in 55 minutes.

"It was a good match to start the season," said Monfils. "If I win one more match, then I should run into Rafa (Nadal).

"I have been practising hard and did everything perfectly today."

Australian Open

US Open 2009

Live Streaming » Australian Open

Sports Live » Australian Open Live Streaming